POST: PLANTAIN PUFFS AND BAKE
I made it through a month without going back to the grocery store for more groceries and I am glad about that. Well I had only one problem I forgot I bought plantains! I€ve always had a problem with getting ripened plantains over here so when I get them I stash them away and wait about two weeks till they start to ripen€¦stress!
Yesterday I was avoiding doing homework and started doing every other thing like cleaning my windows and cleaning light bulbs then the Plantain Fairy reminded meœBoy you have plantains!.€ Raced to my kitchen like it was an emergency and found out they were super ripened and soft€¦ anti-climax.
*flashback scene* When I was about eight my dad made this dish for myself and my brother and I caught on it because Plantains are Life! I remembered I had flour and I had peppers and had seasoning cubes and that was perfect for this dish! Trust me on this it actually really takes about 20 minutes to prepare (except you are listening to Adele€s Hello and you start crying midway and need to compose a few texts and make some calls) sorry for the digression *wipes tears*
Ingredients: Two Overripe Plantains
1 Cup of Flour
2 Seasoning Cubes
1 Habanero Pepper
This is basically an African dish,Nigerian to be precise the names vary from region to region where I’m from it is called Mosa Oni Dodo€ don’t ask what each word means, its sacrilege (okay I really don’t know it). I made this in two ways scooped in balls and fried and baked in a dish for the Fit Fam Mandem.
- Cut up the plantains in bits and mash (Note: Its faster mashing with your hands, but of that manicure was expensive use a spoon) till it is squishy and light textured
- Chop up the habanero peppers and mix into the mashed plantains
- Slowly in bits add flour and keep mixing till it attains a consistency that can be scooped into balls
- For the Baked dish, grease an oven safe dish Heat the oven to 350F and bake for 15 minutes or until you see the top browning
- For the Fried one, Heat up some Vegetable Oil and scoop the mix into balls and drop them into the hot oil on medium heat so it cooks all the way through and its browned€¦not burnt.
- You could have this with any sauce you want, I had this with a Spicy Tomato Sauce and Chicken.